Thursday, August 19, 2010

Rain AND Shine

     It's been very wet around here lately, which is odd because its the dry season. Usually it never, or at least rarely, rains in the dry season here in North Queensland, Australia. About a week ago though, it poured. This word, "poured," is drastic understatement for what occurred here. There were literally sheets of water coming down from the sky that, in only one night, flooded Townsville. Now, I'm not talking a dangerously high flood or anything. I suppose that may have been a bit of an exaggeration, but after just that one night all of the creeks and streams that were once completely dried up were flowing with water again. The rainstorm managed to keep the flow of water in the creeks going for a about 5 days. After just one shower. That's pretty impressive.

     Recently, the air has been exceptionally humid in my opinion. No rain, just muggy. It's not even all that hot out, but by the time I get to class I am already sweating through my shirt. I've been told that this is nothing compared to what summer, the wet season, will be like. Apparently, it is several times hotter and you can bet on rain everyday. The advice given to me was to not stick around for summer and head south like everyone else will do to escape the miserable heat and rain. 
    
     ...I'm kind of curious to see what summer brings.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about the humidity, but, in light of all the amazing experiences you are having and sharing with us, my sympathy level is rather shallow! Thanks for taking the time to write about your experiences Ry!I can't wait to see more photos. As always, kiss a kangaroo for me!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. But then even the weather can bring new experiences?

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts...